Protected from the storm

I couldn’t help but feel a bit smug knowing that Lucy was indoors at Mylor when the great storm of October 2013 came through. Zephyr would usually have been indoors too, in the barn, so my mind did drift off from time to time thinking about how safe Lucy will be for the next storm…

Original owner

I managed to track down the original owner of ‘Lucy’ today, although back then she was known as ‘Susanne’. We had a great chat on the telephone, and Mike was able to fill in a lot of the gaps in my knowledge about her, and also to confirm some of my thoughts. Mike ordered her…

Like a new penny

It’s what Steve said Lucy looked like – a shiny, new copper penny. This is Coppercoat, and, hopefully, it’s going to keep Lucy free from weed, barnacles, etc, for 10 to 15 years. It should mean that I won’t have to pay to have her lifted out each year and re-antifouled. This is an investment…

Reflections

The starboard topsides were sprayed with Awlgrip on Friday, and today the cameras were allowed in for the first time. You should easily be able to make out Steve in the reflection above. I’m guessing the Mylor team have done the expected first class job, as Steve’s words in his email to me were brief,…

SeaStart engine course

No, that’s not Lucy’s engine, it belongs to Sea Start Ltd, and lives in the classroom where I went on Tuesday for my RYA Diesel Engine course. It’s a Volvo of some sort, but since most diesel marine engines are very similar it works well as a demonstration tool. I travelled south on Monday night…

A photo fest

I know from comments made to me that you like to see the photos, so I’m pleased to say that both Henry and Steve have sent some more up to me today. It appears that the green Gelshield is complete, the timber fairings and rudder epoxy coated, and the steelwork painted with Jotun mastic. Below…

Going green

Just when I thought that Lucy was ready for some black Awlgrip, along come some pictures from Mylor from Steve. They’ve commenced the epoxy coating of the hull with Gelshield. They’re making fantastic progress…. I have to admit to being a little bit worried about what they plan to do with that whopping great hammer!!…

Rubbed down for Awlgrip

At some stage over the winter of 2008/9 Lucy’s topsides were painted with Awlgrip. It’s a superb finish, and for something so thin is actually very tough. However, it seems that in a previous life much time had been spent berthed ‘starboard side to’ on a pontoon mooring in Gosport, using small, stubby fenders. I’ve…

Beta 20

That red lump of metal is Lucy’s diesel engine. I have to admit to not knowing a great deal about engines, so this post is going to lack gravitas, and anything of use. It’s big, and it’s heavy. It would also have been quite a struggle to fit it in such a gap. That’s about…

Clean stern gear

I’m really chuffed at the condition of Lucy’s hull. This is a boat that was built in 1990, and has seen a lot of action – but look at it! The rudder is laminated timber – fitted 23 years ago. It could have been fitted last week. The stainless work has cleaned up a treat,…