At some stage over the winter of 2008/9 Lucy’s topsides were painted with Awlgrip. It’s a superb finish, and for something so thin is actually very tough. However, it seems that in a previous life much time had been spent berthed ‘starboard side to’ on a pontoon mooring in Gosport, using small, stubby fenders. I’ve got quite a few pictures of her moored this way to prove it. The small, stubby fenders could have been over-inflated, and the inevitable movement has caused ‘fender rub’ in the Awlgrip, and in one or two place the primers could be seen.
The guys at Mylor are regarded as some of the best in the UK at this type of work, so I’m hopeful of a top class job once the spraying is completed. It does look like there’s also quite a bit of historical damage to the starboard bow – probably caused by raising the anchor. I’m going to have to be careful about that in the future, as I won’t be able to afford to have this done again.
Needless to say, I won’t be using small, stubby fenders again. I’ve ordered some oversize cylindrical ones to keep her protected.