By now Lucy had been afloat for over two days whilst I carried on with fitting electronic kit and more rigging. I added port and starboard midships cleats and managed to get the Garmin chartplotter talking to the Standard Horizon VHF so that it knows the GPS co-ordinates. For peace of mind I also had one of the Mylor engineers check over the engine. It turned out that he was the last person to service it back in April 2012, after which it had hardly any hours. The coolant levels were spot on, as were the gearbox and engine oils. The engine oil was clean – a clear sign that it hadn’t been used. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing how much fuel there is in the tank, and in winter it’s best to keep the tank full – so I needed to get some.
These engines don’t really use a lot of fuel. The Beta info sheet reckons that it should use a litre per hour. I guessed there would be a reasonable amount, so set off a dual mission to find fuel the long way round, so as to give the batteries some much needed charging.
The showers had passed and the sun shone through broken clouds as we motored south along Carrick Roads, skirting Black Rock and out into Falmouth Bay to look at the big ships at anchor. We probably went half way to Helford before heading back and swinging into Falmouth. I filled the tank and spare can at a cost of £22, then went to play at picking up moorings a little further on towards Penryn. It was a little too windy, so I gave up and motored back to Mylor. There were loads of moorings to pick from, so I went for one in loads of space, and got it first time.
By now it was lunchtime, so I made tea, and then tested the oven out by cooking my well travelled Aldi steak and kidney pie. I think it went everywhere with Zephyr for two years at least! And it was really nice.