Clocks and jobs


Lucy had to be moved out of the marina and onto her summer mooring by April 1st, so I planned a few days in Mylor to get some pressing jobs done ahead of our Easter holiday. I’d delayed my trip by a couple of days as the weather was awful, so didn’t get down until Saturday, and the clocks went forward the next morning. It was a lot warmer that the last visit, proven by the fact that I could wear deck shoes and no socks!

First on the list was to fit the hanging storage nets. I’d bought them to use on Zephyr, but couldn’t actually find anywhere to fix them. They’re like small hammocks, ideal for fruit, bread, crisps, etc. I drilled and screwed some hooks to the ceiling on both sides and that was it – done. I can very easily remove them if needs be. There’s just enough headroom for me when I’m sat beneath them.


The next job was one which had been festering for some time – the staysail tracks. I’d estimated that they needed to be just in front of the window, a thought confirmed when I’d seen the same arrangement on Brian Budden’s Annabelle as she over wintered in Malpass. His were in the same place, so I just had to get on with it. Three holes were drilled for each one, and a nice stainless steel plate fitted underneath inside the cabin. They look really good – but I’ve yet to try them.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


With that task out of the way it was time to fix the VHF extension into the cockpit. As a mostly single handed sailor I realised some time ago that it’s a pain having to go below to use the radio, and since this Standard Horizon set has AIS I wanted to be able to have control. Being deaf in one ear is another justification for a speaker on deck. When we first went to see Lucy she had a old style cockpit speaker, but it had corrosion so it was removed – leaving a gaping hole. My plan was to fit a teak pad to cover the hole, then fit the new extension to it. I think it turned out very well.

In addition to all this work I also had some own boat tuition via Mylor Cruising. I needed to learn how to handle Lucy in close quarters, turning her in her length, going astern, and repeatedly coming alongside pontoons. I had three hours of one to one tuition so now feel a lot more confident for the future. And I also had to learn how to empty the raw water strainer which had picked up a good handful of seaweed. To clear it I had to remove the stove and stove box, but that’s the second time I’ve done that now so it’s getting easier.

Lucy should be moved to her new mooring any day soon, and the next time I’m down there will be for the Easter weekend – with the boss!


2 thoughts on “Clocks and jobs

  1. An interesting posting Russell. The staysail track photos are really helpful. I was confused about having to remove the stove and stove box to access the raw water strainer. This isn’t necessary on the original boat with a 1GM10, and I’m guessing that it might have to do with the larger diameter water inlet required for the Beta engine.

    • It’s what I inherited so don’t know any different. Obviously I don’t want to have to remove the stove again, so I think I’ll be making the access a bit bigger.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s